Literacy at Upton Infant School is an integral part of our ethos. We believe that it allows all children to access the world around them and become active members of society. Through our planning, teaching and assessment, we will encourage pupils to:
- Enjoy using language in different contexts and have the confidence and ability to do so.
- Develop understanding and skills to become independent, enthusiastic readers and writers.
- Become articulate speakers and responsive listeners in a variety of contexts.
- Develop imagination and personal expression through a range of writing styles using appropriate language, accurate punctuation and grammar.
- Use a range of spelling strategies and apply them in their independent work.
- Use neat, legible, joined handwriting and to take care with the presentation of their work.
- Apply their skills across all areas of learning and life where applicable.
Throughout Reception (from after Christmas) and in Year One, children will follow the Read Write Inc Literacy scheme. In Year Two, some children will continue to follow this scheme and others will begin to follow a more topic based approach to Literacy.
Click on the links below to find out more about Literacy at Upton Infant School